Thursday, May 14, 2015

A Depressing World

In The Road, a bleak and desolate landscape is set before us. There seems to be no hope whatsoever. Ash covers the lands, the sky is dark, the trees are rotten and dead, there seems to be earthquakes, and everyone seems to be dying or battling to survive. The story focuses on two people, a son and a father, who trek their way to the south, seeking refuge and warmth from the bitter cold. The father and son travel along a road, using a map as their guide and a cart for their food and supplies. They avoid the gangs that have formed and continue to travel, but the question that bothers me is what happened to cause this. I came up with two theories that could plunge the world in such a depressing manner. My first guess was that it was a volcano that erupted, maybe the Ring of Fire, or the Volcano that resides in Yellowstone Park. If that volcano erupts, it could signal the end of the world. The sun will be blotted out from the immense amounts of ash spat into the air. Nearly all living creatures would be wiped out, and basically any plant would whither and die. Ash would continuous rain down from the sky, and the volcano erupting could cause the tectonic plates to shift, causing earthquakes. This would mimic the landscape of the burned America McCarthy lays before us. My second theory was that possibly a massive meteor struck Earth, and did basically the same thing as volcanoes. When it slammed into Earth, massive amounts of dirt was blown up into the sky, going to space possibly, and covered the blue skies, creating the gray sky in The Road. The burning meteor caused massive fires and ashes, as well as its impact messing up the tectonic plates and making them move. This would possibly leave more survivors than the volcano erupting, but it would have the same effect, wiping thousands of people out. This may be what shaped the macabre environment.

4 comments:

  1. It's scary how the cause of all the chaos in that world is as a result of something that is actually possible to happen in real life, like the super volcano you mentioned in Yellowstone Park. If that would happen, life would be so depressing, with seemingly no hope left. I think the father and son wouldn't be alive if they didn't have each other to motivate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Brooke because I wanted more than just "grey skies". Why were they grey? Please Cormick just tell me. But then again does it really matter how the world died? It's dead, life sucks, and if it was aliens, a volcano, or a meteor, it really doesn't matter because they all lead to the same outcome--destruction and devastation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it is very confusing figuring out what actually happened in this world. My main issue is that I don't know what would cause most of the population to die out because the man and his son don't seem to run into many people. Natural disaster is the only plausible explanation I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy that both your theories were natural phenomena besides manmade disasters. Of course I agree with you Shahrum because we did discuss this issue during class. I do believe it was a natural phenomenon it would be more volcanoes rather than asteroids. I would hope that maybe if there was an asteroid headed towards earth we would be able to do something about it before it destroyed our world.

    ReplyDelete